Nintendo Wii - handlugguage or baggage?

ozzbound

I seem to have lots of dilemmas today!

We want to take the Wii with us but don't want to set off security thinking its a bomb or whatever...

We want to take it with us rather than sending it on as we are not taking anything else with us. I need to know is it possible to take it in hand lugguage or baggage?

No laughing!!! :laugh:

If I had a choice I would take the Wii on as hand luggage as they have very sensitive electronics parts and are not designed to be thrown about or shaken vigourosly which is exactly what will happen when the baggage handlers get hold of your cases, you wouldn't put a laptop in a suitcase so why risk putting a games console in there.

I would ring UK customs and get it confirmed that you can carry a Wii on as handluggage, I can't see it being a problem especially since they allow laptops, mobiles and cameras....

i am going to email Emirates and see what they say.

I will put the games in the lugguage I think. Will let you know how i get on.

What about the Wii fit board!!! :embarrassed: forgot about that!! :twitcy:

Wii fit is a different matter altogether, not as delicate as a games console but a pig of an object to carry on as hand luggage as there bulky and weigh a tonne....

Not exactly the same thing, but....

I brought an external computer hard drive in my luggage with no problems at all--I made sure it was in the centre of the suitcase and well wrapped in clothing to give it good padding on all sides. Although electronic items are fragile, don't forget that (with good packing) they've already made it from the far east to the UK, then from some warehouse to the shop where you bought it. Fragile, yes, treat like eggshells, not necessarily!

If you have room and spare weight allowance in your carry on, then fine. However, my experience is that once I've got a laptop plus the things I need on the flight in the carry one, my weight allowance is pretty well used up. The trouble is, you rarely know until check in whether the airline is going to be "tough" on carry on weight limits or not. In my experience, Emirates is usually pretty easy going--but you can't count on this 100%.

Bob

Hi, I work at Gatwick on check -in, and as long as it within the hand baggage allowance then it should be ok, but to be honest it down to the security officer, if you get a jobs worth the worst they can do is send you back to check it in.

When I was at Heathrow I had all sorts of things being taken on as hand luggage including a DVD player, not portable one !!

Hope this helps

Lynne x

p.s

Forgot to add... we ALWAYS tell people to keep valubles in hand luggage as we can't be held responsible for baggage handlers in other countries.

I seem to have lots of dilemmas today!

We want to take the Wii with us but don't want to set off security thinking its a bomb or whatever...

We want to take it with us rather than sending it on as we are not taking anything else with us. I need to know is it possible to take it in hand lugguage or baggage?

No laughing!!! :laugh:

Hi - i also have lots of dilemas today - the main one is if the kids read this post as I told them your not allowed to take the wii and PS3 on plane !! - I need the allowance for my shoes !! :biglaugh: - we are staying with friends when we first get there who have all the consoles etc but don't have my size feet - - shoes -v- console, shoes -v-console - sorry just slowly cracking up here sorting stuff for container !!

val x

ps i have rang emirates today as i didnt realise they dont allow you extra allowance when emigrating we only get 30kg each - the guy said they are getting very strict with allowance and are charging £35 per kilo over

pps does anyone know can you take a guitar in hard case free and golf clubs free ??

Wii fit is a different matter altogether, not as delicate as a games console but a pig of an object to carry on as hand luggage as there bulky and weigh a tonne....
I am going to weigh it later and see if can fit in one of the handlugguage bags! if not its being padded up and placed in the centre of the husbands case!!

Not exactly the same thing, but....

Although electronic items are fragile, don't forget that (with good packing) they've already made it Emirates is usually pretty easy going--but you can't count on this 100%.

Bob

Going to email and see if i can get a good reply to print off. Will bubble wrap. Cheers x

if you get a jobs worth the worst they can do is send you back to check it in.

When I was at Heathrow I had all sorts of things being taken on as hand luggage including a DVD player, not portable one !!

Hope this helps

Lynne x

p.s

Forgot to add... we ALWAYS tell people to keep valubles in hand luggage as we can't be held responsible for baggage handlers in other countries.

Thanks Lynne, taking jewellry etc in hand lugguage husband can have the Wii

Hi - i also have lots of dilemas today - the main one is if the kids read this post as I told them your not allowed to take the wii and PS3 on plane !! - I need the allowance for my shoes !! :biglaugh: - we are staying with friends when we first get there who have all the consoles etc but don't have my size feet - - shoes -v- console, shoes -v-console - sorry just slowly cracking up here sorting stuff for container !!

SORRY!!! :embarrassed:

val x

ps i have rang emirates today as i didnt realise they dont allow you extra allowance when emigrating we only get 30kg each - the guy said they are getting very strict with allowance and are charging £35 per kilo over

pps does anyone know can you take a guitar in hard case free and golf clubs free ??

When we booked we used the migration code and this gave us the 50kg each. You could try and ring them telling them you are a member of Moving Planet (a website for migrants) and forgot to quote the code UKMOVE1 and see if you can get the bagguage allowance. Maybe NIGELINOZ or someone else could help???

Thanks to everyone for their help xxxxx

val x

Golf clubs & Guitar in case are free if with in ur baggage allowance in most Airlines, if u have used ur allowance then u will be charged a flat rate which is different with each airline so check the rate they charge.

As they are classed as "fragile" items they would be sent down the "Out Of Gauge" belt so it cuts out all the bend in the belt.

Always check with the Airline and get confirmation in writing, either letter of email so that the check-in agent is aware of it just incase it not been added to ur booking history.

Lynne xx

When we booked we used the migration code and this gave us the 50kg each. You could try and ring them telling them you are a member of Moving Planet (a website for migrants) and forgot to quote the code UKMOVE1 and see if you can get the bagguage allowance. Maybe NIGELINOZ or someone else could help???

Thanks to everyone for their help xxxxx

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of this site !!

Lynne xx

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of this site !!

Lynne xx

The actual site is not longer working but the code does for booking we used it on Tuesday. Got £100 off the cost and it says 'Migration Fare'. Try it out as if you are booking it comes up on the results. You then email them to get confirmation and send passport page and email grant letter - the day after I got the 50kg each confirmation :wink:

Guest inaroundroom

On numerous occasions I've been asked to power up my laptop to prove it physically works post xray, they weren't happy until they had seen the windows login screen.

Might be worth double checking with the airports as well as the airline about taking it on board as proving it works and isn't something more elaborate could be challenging without a TV :-)

Reading the BAA site for Heathrow they don't seem to go into much detail, electronic items are okay?

Might want to have a receipt to prove the purchase date if it is 12months or greater, I was challenged the last time I flew into Aus with my Apple MBP...

To quote Au customs:

As a first-time migrant or returning Australian resident, you are entitled to bring back with you to Australia, duty and GST free, all your personal and household effects that you have owned and used for the whole of the period of 12 months immediately preceding your departure for Australia.

Archived